Tuesday 15 September, 2009

Look, who is playing cricket!

::

I had an opportunity to meet George in 1998 at Venu Eye Institute. Senior consultant Dr. Anil Tara had introduced us. He called him George, so did I. I saw him, while he heard me.


As I learnt much later, Mr. George Abraham had founded the World Blind Cricket Council (WBCC) and was the man behind the world cup for the blind. His visual status was a result of complication of meningitis that had affected his optic nerves.
I was subsequently assigned the task of screening a bunch of young cricketers from seven countries. They all had varying degree of visual handicap; some were completely blind.

In my ophthalmic career, I have come across all kind of people with disabilities and also normal people feigning a disability. Examination these players was a different ball game. Their disability had to be graded so that an appropriate mix of these guys could be included in a nation's team.


A guy from New Zea Land was a tough nut. He had retinitis pigmentosa - so the disability as such was beyond doubt. However the decision to designate him as an individual with highest grade of disability was tough and required knowledge about his visual acuity as well as field of vision. After much consideration, I gave him a benefit of doubt and he was regarded a player with higher degree of deficit. I followed the news of the world cup with an extra interest: What if the Kiwis had an extra advantage with this player. Final was played between South Africa and Pakistan and I was a relieved person.
Mr Abraham is reported to be working on Indian Blind Cricket league. My good wishes to him and the players.

No comments: