Monday 21 September, 2009

Depressed due to illness? Shine like a comet!


::

In my previous post, I mentioned a doctor who was misdiagnosed to have leukemia.

A reader might wonder what is so inspiring about this tragic story. There is.

I have seen a comet only twice in my life. Halley’s comet orbits sun every 76 years. It was last seen in 1986. I had seen it with my bare eyes. The other one was the comet Hale-Bopp.

There are moments in life when one doesn’t know what lies ahead. Everyone no matter how fortunate or otherwise he or she is faces such days.

Prior to 1986, the Halley’s comet was seen in 1910. As everyone knows, there are myths about these poor celestial objects.

The world would end!
The life on this planet would cease!

These were some of the myths associated with the Halley’s comet. A report in a Hindi Magazine in 1986 told me that several people gathered together in a mosque in Tehran and committed a mass suicide in 1910! In a similar stand, several people gathered in the basement of a building in Vienna to face a common predicament.

The myths and panic reappeared in 1997, when the comet Hale-Bopp was seen. There were talks of an alien aircraft closely following the comet. A religious cult “Heaven's Gate cult” encouraged people to commit suicide as it would ensure a good “after life”.

So in a way, I like most of us survived one or two major comets!

I wish the doctor I mentioned in my post had opted for a timely second opinion and bounced back to life. However he chose to be eclipsed slowly.

The message: Don’t let any thing eclipse you, try to shine like a comet.

Lisa Ray diagnosed with multiple myeloma is shining. She did so at the Toronto film festival recently.

Best

Happy Alzheimer's day!

::

No comments: