Sunday 19 July, 2009

Can you accomplish this?

He happened to consult me for some eye problem.
He did not have any in his normal eye.
The abnormal eye had drifted downwards due to a damaged floor of the orbit, the upper eye lid is perpetually closed, the eye ball partly in what anatomists and doctors call "maxilla" - upper front part of the cheek, adjacent to the nose.
After seeing him, I asked him what did he do?
"I have a bicycle repairing shop, where I fix punctures etc", was his brief response.
"Do you do these yourself or you have some one else with you".
I do have another boy, but I do all that he does...."
This is where the feat becomes remarkable. He can bring out a tube out of a bicycle tyre, fix it and put in place. And then fix the tyre back into the cycle!
What is the big deal? So can many of us?
The big deal is, his physical limitation is not restricted to his right eye alone. His right arm got dis-inserted from its root in the shoulder joint by the same accident that claimed his right eye!
Think again, can you do what he does?
Patch one of your eye, that would affect your ability to have a quality stereoptic vision.
Now ask some one to bandage and anchor your right arm over your chest so that it is completely immobile.
Pick up a screwdriver or any other tool. You are allowed to use your legs or knees to have a grip on the bicycle or its tyre. Remove the tube.
Can you?
I can't.
But my hero can!
So if you happen to live a restricted life due to disability, remember, someone somewhere is carrying on despite a problem more severe than yours!
Everyone would find a worse sufferer and a better conqueror than him.
So why have self pity that I termed a kind of masochistic feeling?
Carry on.
Be your own role model!
All the best, and excuse me for I can't unscrew even simpler gadgets!
Manish

No comments: