Sunday 30 August, 2009

Spurious researchers try to evade "intrusion"

::


Year 1996.


Place: Eye department of a leading hospital in Hyderabad


I had been to the twin cities to participate in an Ocular Immunology and Uveitis symposium at LV Prasad Eye Institute. I had heard of a group led by a Russian doctor who was engaged in research on retinitis pigmentosa. After having participated in the symposium, I had some spare time before I could board a train back to my home town. I decided to visit this hospital.


I met a young lady who was a receptionist there. The Russian doctor was not there, however an Indian associate was. I told the receptionist that I would like to meet the group that was engaged in research on RP. She moved in. I could hear the entire conversation from the waiting area.


Receptionist: Sir, an Ophthalmologist has come who wants to know more about your research on RP.


Doctor: What does he want to know....


R: About what are you doing in RP....


D: Tell him to go away....


R: .... (silence)....


D: OK, if you can't, send him in....


R: (c0mes out) Sir, he is calling you.


D: (with a conceited smile) Yes please, How may I help you?


I (MJ): Sir, I wish to know more about your work on RP, and if you recruit fellows interested in basic sciences and research...


D: No, in this hospital we don't.


MJ: (Since I had heard the entire earlier conversation) So there is no reason for me to stay any longer, right...?


D: Yes.


I left the room.


Later I understood the group was injecting an injection they called "encadem", an indigenous research products prepared from the eyes of owls! Owls tend to have good scotopic (night) vision but are nearly blind in photopic (day light) conditions. I felt, It would be interesting to understand the physiology of an owl's visison, but a crude extract.... in an injectable form..... how could it be helpful? It could elicit an immunological response but would not achieve any thing...
I was and am skeptical of the authenticity of the work. There is no published report by the group.
I understand the message in this post is clear. There has been an incidence when an RP patient sought my advise regarding a study protocol (cleared by institutional review committee). That indeed was a wise move!

No comments: